Position Description & Responsibilities
The Industrial Controls and Automation Engineer will be responsible for integrating and enabling hardware controllers, devices and sensors, and software applications to support Godlan’s Prophecy IIoT platform.
Primary activities will include:
- Meeting with clients to scope and understand their IIoT requirements
- Provide recommendations on shop-floor automation hardware and software
- Evaluating and proposing connectivity options for production equipment using PLCs, control devices, edge devices, and sensors.
- Following an Agile development methodology for design, coding, testing, and deployment of turn-key Prophecy applications
- Creation of documentation and conduct training for Prophecy clients
Additionally, you will provide expertise and must be able to develop applications to provide integration between specialized devices and data acquisition systems that utilize OPC/ UA, MQTT, and similar protocols. This will include creating custom equipment-specific drivers for non-standard devices, communications protocols, and various physical interfaces such as Rs485, DH+, Highway Addressable Remote Transducer (HART), Fieldbus, and others.
This is a full-time role and is customer-facing. While working from your home location, you will be expected to travel within the US. It is assumed much of your time will be spent working directly with clients performing shop floor equipment automation tasks.
Technical Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Expert with PLC programming languages (including ladder logic, sequential function charts, function block diagram, structured text, and instruction lists) using tools such as RSLinx, Siemens Step 7, Mitsubishi iQ Works
- Expert with Data acquisition software; specifically, Open Automation Software (OAS), Kepware, Open OPC, including PLCs and device drivers, data tag setup and configuration, OPC DA, and OPC/UA protocols
- Expert in control system related equipment, Field I/O, sensors /encoders, motor controllers, and industrial protocols – Siemens, Allen-Bradley, Fanuc, Modbus, Current loop, HART
- Knowledge of MES systems (Schneider Wonderware, Rockwell FactoryTalk, Kepware ThingWorx, Aspen Technology Inc., Apriso Corp)
- Experience with prototyping with single-board computers such as Raspberry Pi or Arduino
- Understanding of HTML, CSS, XML, JSON, LINQ
- Understanding of web services (SOAP and RESTful)
- Experience and knowledge of MS SQL / (T-SQL)
- Working with vendors and OEMs to identify, select, and purchase optimal component solutions; Installation and configuration of equipment controllers, networking devices, sensors, and wired and wireless network devices.
Non-Technical Required Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Flexibility in dealing with simultaneous projects
- Strong customer service attitude
- Strong self-motivation but not afraid to ask for help
- Hold yourself and your work to high standards
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team environment
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines
Experience, Education, and Certifications
- BS or MS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related discipline OR industry related experience and certification credentials
- Two (2) years+ of industry related experience in automation controls and/or systems integration experience with automation equipment – PLC devices, process control systems, communications/network products, HMI/MMI/SCADA, Protocols – OPC /UA Modbus, OPC/ UA, FieldBUS, MQTT
- Two (2) years+ of industry related experience in implementing MES or Industrial Data Acquisition hardware and software – OAS, Kepware, or similar
- Experience with encryption, cybersecurity, and networking concepts
- Experience with automation platform vendors such as Rockwell Automation, Siemens, ABB, Honeywell, Emerson, Wonderware, Fanuc, and others
- Experience with interfacing various control systems to middle layer data collection/historian applications and communication to other control systems such as MES, Data Historians, ERP, SPC, and Plant Maintenance
- Experience and comfort with lab tools such as debuggers, logic analyzers, and protocol analyzers
- Experience with controls schematic diagrams and wiring diagrams
- Strong sense of project ownership and personal responsibility