Design on Demand - Variability & Customization Today's Customer Requires
Manufacturers face a major challenge today in that customers are demanding more variability or customization to products than ever before. This increasing trend is forcing manufacturers to adopt a strategy of being able to design on demand, based on the specific product attributes of the order. In many companies, the solution has been to throw your best engineers at the problem, taking them away from designing new products—the life blood of every company. Instead, consider that manufacturers can use Infor Product Configuration Management (PCM) to alleviate a large part of the design-on-demand load.
Infor 3D Design Automation
Some form of design automation is critical to generate the data for the 3D print process, which is the deficiency that exists in the design-on-demand concept. In order to address the deficiency, Infor brings you 3D Design Automation. Accelerate the design and delivery of configured products, while reducing costs and freeing up your engineers to do higher value work with Infor 3D Design Automation. Use this solution in conjunction with Infor Product Configurator to automate the generation of configuration-specific detailed 3D models, drawings, and manufacturing information for individual customer orders.
The Only One You Need
Use the same Configurator everywhere you need it. For Sales and for Manufacturing, for your reps & your dealers. For ERP, CRM, and self-service on the web.
Using Infor 3D Design Automation with Infor Product Configurator, you can:
• Accelerate delivery of customized product orders by eliminating engineering steps from lead time.
• Reduce engineering costs by automating creation of detail drawings and manufacturing information.
• Provide value-added sales deliverables that might otherwise be too costly to produce.
• Streamline production and help ensure quality by providing configuration specific drawings and information to manufacturing.
• Speed new product development by taking advantage of modular product family models.
• Use your existing CAD tools and skills.
CAD automation for dynamic 3D models
Dynamically generate configuration-specific 3D models based on user entered features, options, and dimensions using Infor 3D Design Automation with the Product Configurator and your 3D CAD system. Infor Product Configurator and Infor 3D Design Automation dynamically resolve 3D CAD model templates containing assembly and part templates, parametric relationships, and geometric constraints at run-time to generate CAD outputs, as well as detail drawings and manufacturing information.
Because Infor 3D Design Automation can read a CAD model assembly structure to identify the components in a product’s BOM, you won’t have to maintain BOM rules within the model. This can help you reduce model creation and maintenance work.
Rapid creation of as-engineered product definitions
Dramatically reduce the time and cost needed to produce configured product definitions at an as-engineered level of detail and accuracy suitable for use by engineering, sales, and manufacturing. With Infor 3D Design Automation, you can replace time-consuming and tedious manual CAD operator activity with automatic generation for:
• High level models and quote drawings to support product visualization and customer collaboration during the configuration and sales process.
• Specification drawings and CAD files (e.g. DXE, IGS. STP files) for delivery to the customer once the order is placed.
• Shop drawings such as detail, section, quality, and inspection drawings at the assembly, subassembly, and component level for use by manufacturing.
• Detailed assembly models for use by engineers for further engineering analysis or to generate CNC instructions for numerically controlled equipment.
Innovative design methodology
Designers can use Infor 3D Design Automation’s innovative methodology along with Product Configurator’s rules and with their existing 3D CAD system to develop product family models. These models can then be used as templates for the automatic generation of configuration-specific product designs. In addition to supporting the automatic generation process, this approach speeds the design process, and produces product family models that are faster and less expensive to develop and maintain than traditional 3D models developed using a CAD system alone. In addition, you get:
• A design for customization approach—Establish the guidelines and standards to create product family models that provide maximum flexibility and ease of configuration.
• A design reference database—Use highly modular 3D models that combine to represent the complete product family by mapping input variables to the various sub-models, their attributes, and their location, position, and orientation within the completed product.
• A testing application—Designers tools to easily exercise and verify product family models, before releasing them for use in the automated generation process.